Monday, June 25, 2012

Opportunities


As all of you can imagine these past couple weeks have been very exciting in many different ways. I will go on ahead and talk about what many of you are wondering about, my new job with the College Republicans National Committee (CRNC). As of last week I was offered a job with the CRNC as a Field Operative starting this fall. After the interview I had to make the decision as to whether I would be willing to take a semester off of school in order to take this position that was offered to me that would be an opportunity of a lifetime. After much deliberation, and speaking with parents, friends, and colleagues in Washington I have decided to take it! Basically a field operative gets to recruit, train, mobilize and engage college students in support of Republican candidates, policies and principles. Specific tasks include recruiting on college campuses, signing up volunteers, and organizing College Republican phone banks and neighborhood walk operations designed to identify Republican voters and get them to the polls on Election Day. I will be sent to one highly competitive battleground state where young Republican voters will make a real difference for GOP candidates. I will be assigned one region of one state. I will not be assigned my state until August, but as details come out I will be sure to notify you following my blog posts.
                As far as Washington goes there has been quite a lot going on. First thing on the list is the House is expected Thursday to vote to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress for failing to hand over thousands of pages of internal Justice Department documents detailing why federal officials allowed guns to fall into the hands of Mexican drug cartels. The Fast and Furious-Scandal has been simmering for months, but it boiled over last week when a House committee voted to hold Holder in contempt of Congress despite an administration claim of executive privilege. If the House approves the measure, it will be the first time in U.S. history that one of the chambers has voted to hold a sitting attorney general in contempt.
                As of today the Supreme Court ruled largely in favor of the federal government Monday in a case involving Arizona's immigration law, but it upheld the most controversial provision involving police checks on people's immigration status while enforcing other laws. The decision rippled across the political landscape in a presidential election year. The court's 5-3 ruling struck down key parts of the Arizona law. However, the Supreme Court will rule Thursday on the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act. In my personal opinion the stakes cannot be overstated, what the justices decide will have an immediate and long-term impact on all Americans, both in how they get medicine and health care, but also in areas of commerce.
                Also as a side note, I will be coming home for the week of the 4th of July. I will get a chance to spend time with my much missed family and friends. I am also looking forward to volunteering with the festivities going on in Sebastian for the 4th.
                Recently I had the chance to spend the day at Arlington National Cemetery. Typically when I go it’s usually timed and everything is rushed. But when you have a whole day to spend there and to take it all in, it is truly an amazing experience. Some of my favorite points of it were the Space Shuttle Memorials, the Flame of John F. Kennedy, and the obvious changing of the guard.
                I know that there is a lot going on in our nation’s capitol and some of it I didn’t hit on, but if there is anything in particular you want to hear my opinion of just comment below. Or if you just have random comments or questions I welcome those too. Hope everyone is staying safe and indoors from the tropical storms, definitely something I don’t miss. Can’t wait to see everyone next week!

God Bless,
Wesley Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment