Friday, May 25, 2012

Always Something New


Well this week was district week up here on the Hill. For all of you who have no idea what that means, it’s basically a week set aside for members of Congress to return to their districts for events, constituent meetings, and to get a chance to see their families. During this week we take time to slow down and catch up on letters to constituents, tours, and phone calls. To my surprise, dogs are actually allowed in the office during district weeks, which always seems to make the office surprisingly fun.
Something that has been all the buzz this week in our office was the launch of the Space X’s Falcon 9 rocket and its unmanned Dragon capsule which marked the first time a commercial spacecraft has been sent to the International Space Station. It is considered a test flight; the capsule was packed with a load of groceries and other supplies, but if all goes well with this mission and others like it, commercial spaceships could be carrying astronauts to and from Earth to the space station in three to five years!
Over the weekend, I plan on checking out the National Holocaust Museum. I have heard from a number of people how moving it is and how it is definitely something I should see. I do remember parts of it when I had went with my family a long time ago, but it will definitely be an eye opening experience from what I have heard.
Something that I always seem to look forward to is giving tours to constituents. Being that I am one of the three staffers that are from the district, I feel that I play a role in making a personal connection with the constituents. I try to keep in mind that because I am giving the tour, I am representing Congressman Posey, which I always feel honored to do each and every day. And it’s constantly a good feeling when the constituent sends a letter or email commending the interns on a job well done.
For the people that know me personally and know my ambitions, know that politics has a possibility of being in my future. While being in the office this week, I had the opportunity to speak with some of staffers about the future and whatnot. One of the staffers suggested I do some research on Congressman Aaron Schock of Illinois. Surprisingly I have found that the Congressman is very easy for me to relate to, someone that I plan on following and supporting, and hopefully someone I will have a chance to meet while in Washington. Schock was elected to his county’s school board at the age of 19, and then at the age of 23 was elected to Illinois House of Representatives. Then at the age of 30 he was elected to the United States Congress. Schock is both the youngest currently serving U.S. representative and the first member of the Congress born in the 1980s.
As most are well aware, this weekend is Memorial Day weekend. Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. Please take time with your family and friends to thank our veterans who have served and pray for those who are fighting for our freedom across the world.
I hope that everyone enjoys their extended weekend, if you have one. Please stay safe. If you guys want to know about anything in particular please comment below. I want to make this enjoyable for you guys too!
 God Bless the United States,
Wesley Davis

1 comment:

  1. We should all take a moment or two this weekend to remember what that extra holiday is meant to represent... people who have served our country in uniform. Have a great weekend, Wes!

    ReplyDelete