Thursday, May 17, 2012

Getting in the Swing of Things


I apologize for the lateness of this post. For everyone that has some sort of knowledge of Capital Hill, you will know that there is always something going on.
These past couple weeks have been my first weeks while the House has been in session. And while we are in session, everything is much more fast pace. I have known Congressman Posey for a while and have helped on past campaigns. However, I have not had a chance to actually see him while being an active Congressman, and from what I have seen, I know that my district couldn't have a better representative. Mr. Posey is one of the most personable Congressman I have yet to meet. Every day he walks through the front office door with a smile on his face and wastes no time with getting his day started. Always asking, when he has time, staff what constituents are calling about, what their concerns are, and what our personal thoughts are on a variety of issues.
Recently I had the chance to take a tour of the White House with Mrs. Posey. For all of you that know me, it will come as no surprise to you that I was just about speechless the whole time. To have the opportunity to tour the President's residence was hopefully not a one-time opportunity, but one I will never forget. Just the sheer idea of how many historical laws were signed into place, how many Presidents, Heads-of-State, and other historical figures have lived and stayed in this house was just about beyond comprehensible. Once I got over that, it was even more breath taking when I saw the view from the North Lawn. There are no words to describe it. Mrs. Posey did an awesome job as our group’s guide, providing personal stories and facts that made the whole experience so much better. One thing I found amusing was the fact that there is technically not a "back door" to the White House, only the North and South Lawn. Mrs. Posey later told me that this makes it impossible for anyone to "sneak" out the back door of the White House.
 One thing I cannot get enough of is answering phone calls. For me to be able to personally speak with constituents, listen to their problems, and know that I have the power to help someone with an issue couldn't please me more. Aside from that, tours are also something I am beginning to enjoy more and more. Today we had realtors come from our district for a lunch meeting with the Congressman and then a Capital Tour. Because of the size of the group, another intern and myself tag-teamed. Fortunately, I known a couple of the relators, one being Mrs. Vicky Santana, which always makes tours that much better. Being able to connect with constituents on a personal level gives me a sense of accomplishment and gratitude that I will never forget and always enjoy.
As far as legislation goes, recently the House passed the Republican version of the Violence Against Women Act on Wednesday. This version, passed 222-205, offers a plain contrast from the bill passed by the Senate in late April. The Violence Against Women Act was first enacted in 1994. It has been reauthorized twice since then with bipartisan support and very little controversy. The argument from the Democrats was that the coverage was not extended to illegal immigrants and members of the LBGT community. However, House Republicans oppose those changes, saying they were unnecessary because the law already covers all victims.
The Florida Senate race is also a topic that is getting a considerable amount of attention in Florida. With Governor Romney endorsing Congressman Mack, the race seems on the favorable side for the Congressman. However, Florida Republicans will soon have another choice for the Senate seat. Obviously until he declares his candidacy, I am not at liberty to reveal his name. But I give you my word that that race will definitely be shaken up.
On a lighter side, I have made the discovery that almost anything can be delivered in Washington, even groceries. I don't blame you for laughing if you are, but I have actually placed an order online for groceries and they were delivered! It goes to show you that I am easily impressed.
If you guys would like to hear my thoughts on anything specific please comment and I will do my best. Unfortunately I cannot speak on behalf of the Congressman; try to avoid those questions. Hope everyone is having a great summer!

God Bless the United States,
Wesley Davis


2 comments:

  1. I am excited for you Wes. It is great to somebody so fired up over this country and really wanting to help. Good luck to you in whatever you do. I expect you will do great things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groceries delivered!!! I am moving to DC right now!!!! Awesome to hear the updates...sounds like you are having the time of your life!!!

    ReplyDelete